Search This Blog

Sep 26, 2022

Duolingo September Progress includes Zulu, Haitian Creole, Irish, Swedish and Czech

Learning Focus in September: trying to level up in Duolingo (jump each language to the next increasing Duolingo level)

I am trying different ways to keep me on track around work and family and keep my motivation up.

My September Challenge

This month, I am working through languages I haven't had a chance to revisit for a while.  I am dabbling in them until I level up.  Each subsequent language level is harder to obtain because each level is a much higher number of XP.  Level 25 is the highest level.

Trying out the new Duolingo update

I have enjoyed revisiting languages once again and getting into their mode or head space.  I am also enjoying this in combination with the new interface in Duolingo.   I have been a Duolingo member since begin on their waitlist 10 years ago.  I love the new path way and how it organises a set path of mini steps to try in bite size pieces as well as revision sets of mistakes, listening and speaking that can be forgotten about if like me you often play Duolingo in waiting rooms and near others so you never want to to turn the volume up in case it annoys other people.  The speaking and listening exercises remind me to concentrate on these skills when I am away from others.

So far, I have levelled up in 9 Languages across Turkish, Polish, Russian, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Czech, Finnish as well as the newest language Zulu.  I have worked hard and am enjoying every minute of Level 11 Zulu.

I wonder how many more level ups I can work towards by the end of September? I don't want to set a goal, because my family and work come first, but I celebrate every achievement along the way. 

Dabbling across more than 30 languages in my long term goal at my own pace. 5 languages I have already reached Level 25: Italian, French, German, Spanish, Welsh, however as Duolingo evolves and updates more lessons and units are being added to more courses. So, 38 - 9 levelled up recently - 5 at level 25 = 24 languages to work my way though.  At the moment, I am cycling through 3 langauges daily, usually a Romance language, a Germanic language (as the two language families I have the most experience/background in) and one from another family.

Next in line: 

  •  Romanian, Latin,
  • Norwegian*, Finnish, 
  • Indonesian, Chinese, Korean
  • Hawaiian, Navajo, Swahili
  • Arabic, Greek, Yiddish
*Norwegian is a huge course

Level 6 vs Level 23 comparison
*Norwegian is a huge course and is going to hard to be level up from Level 23 to level 24. This next level needs over 1200XP to be completed. Be aware, lower levels like my Hindi is only on level 6, so needs only 150 XP to level up.  I think this tiered systems is effective because it allows you to concentrate in bite size amounts when you first meet a langauge and lets you get spaced repetition until you do the next lesson.  Whereas, with higher levels, you can concentrate for longer periods when you are used to more grammar and more vocabulary and can take on more complicated sentences. I certainly notice how much more alert you are and how quickly you fatigue with a new language as a beginner.

Hence, I have currently completed 10 trophies but Spanish and French as 2 of the largest courses with the most learners have been significantly updated and grown.




Please COMMENT if you like my work :-)

Please FOLLOW my blog if you want to see more posts :-)

Please fill in my quick Survey Monkey to give me feedback on what you want to see more of :-)


Edit

Next 10 level ups completed: Esperanto,  Scottish Gaelic, Swedish, Japanese,  Hungarian, Hindi, Dutch, Haitian Creole, Hebrew and Vietnamese this week.


Now 19 levels up in September :-)

1 comment: