Search This Blog

Oct 30, 2022

Duolingo October Progress with Zulu, Romanian ,Brazilian Portuguese & Czech



Please consider answering my QUICK languages poll to guide me on which language posts you prefer and find most valuable.  I would love to help one or two people on their way to self study in languages, as I share my own learning journey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W6GVWJQ


October Language Learning Log

I dabble in lots of languages asa hoboby around work, family and commitments   It fits in between in stolen moments but helps keep my work/life balance. My language journal when I have free time at home and Duolingo when I am out and about in waiting rooms helps me maximise my idle time and make it more productive than scrolling on Facebook endlessly.

*** Spotlight on Czech *** 
 I am interested to learn Czech, but have no real background to connection to it. My parents traelled there when Dad was at a conference. Mum came home saying she loved going to the supermarket and reading the signs in the fruit and veg section. “mandarinky” she thought was a fun and cute word and friendly to the English speaker trying out new words in a foreign language as it it similar to the English. 

Czech -  Nejsem muz’. (I am not (1 word) (a) man.) 
English - I am not a man. 

Reflection: 'muz' means 'man'. It helps an English speaker that is it also a short word sarting with M. It makes me think of similar words

Compare langauges
English - man 
Italiano - uomo 
Français - homme 
Cymraeg - dyn
Español - man 
Polskie - facet 
Türk - adam 


Spotlight on Portuguese I am trying to learn Brazilian Portuguese. It is further from Italian than Spanish but there are similarities. It is slow going, so I am taking my time. 

Brazilian Portuguese - Eu escrevi naquele relogio.
 English - I wrote on that watch. 

Reflection: 'escrevi' means 'wrote '. The Romance languages often have similar root word often from Latin. So, words like to write are formed from similiar etymology or sounds, althrough spelling patterns can differ. English to write Italiano scrivere 

Compare langauges
English - to write 
Italiano - scrivere 
Français - écrire 
Español - escribir 
Cymraeg - ysgrifennu
Polskie - pisać 
Türk - yazmak 




 I have not been working on Zulu long, but I eagerly jumped in to have a go when Zulu was out of Duolingo's incubator.  It is exciting to have a go, and less daunting since it uses the alphabet I am familiar with in English and no accents written on letters.  It makes it easier to read and write let alone listen to and pronounce as a beginner.  It is the spelling that takes some adjustment.  I was surprised how many words are similar to English and other languages I have learned earlier in my languages journey. I have tried learning Swahili and now Zulu as the only langauges from the continent of Africa.  It is exciting to try since I have had no opportunity in my schooling to try learning them now until Duolingo.  I have noticed a few familiar words, sawubona namely for hello from a song I learned in a choir. 

 Zulu -  Ngisebenza esikoleni. (I work (1 word) in a school (1 word) 
English - I work in a school. 

Reflection: 'esikoleni' means 'in a school'. I guess that means the preposition is integrated.  Some languages, this would appear as a prefix or a suffix. It makes me think of similar words: English - in a school Italiano - in una scuola Francais - dans une école

Compare langauges
English - schol
Italiano - scuola 
Français - école 
Español - escuela 
Cymraeg - ysgol
Polskie - szkoła 
Türk - okul 

1 comment: