Search This Blog

Nov 3, 2022

Duolingo Progress with Vietnamese and Hebrew


Spotlight on Vietnamese
I have been dabbling in Vietnamese on and off. I love this language but struggle with typing the accents on my phone in Duolingo lessons when I am out and about. I wish I could figure out how to type in Vietnamese on Blogger. I find it fascinating that very similar words mean somthing else with different accent marks in contrast to the acents I am more familiar with in Italian.
Vietnamese -  Di co moy cai o. (I has an umbrella (cai o = (2 words) 
English - Aunt has an umbrella. 

 Reflection: 'cai o' means 'umbrella'. I guess that is the full word for umbrella. In another question, o (alone without cai o) was a match for umbrella. 

   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - umbrella German - Regenschirm Danish - paraply Dutch - paraplu Swedish- paraply Norwegian - paraply Italiano - ombrello  Francais - parapluie Romanian-umbrelă Haitian Creole - parapli Esperanto - ombrelo Latin-umbella Welsh - ymbarél Irish - scáth fearthainne Scottish Gaelic - sgàile Zulu - isambulela Hawaiian - malu Swahili-mwavuli Czech - deštník Hungarian-esernyő Polish-parasol Turk-şemsiye Indonesian payung Japanese-우산 usan Korean 우산 usan Hindi -छतरी chhataree Yiddish - שירעם shirem Ukranian-парасольку parasolʹku Vietnamese- ô Greek- ομπρέλα ompréla Russian зонтик
zontik

   Spotlight on Hebrew
Hebrew -  see pic for Hebrew lettering ( a cake eat I am) 
English - I eat a cake 

 Reflection: The link on dictionary in Duolingo shows me the breakdown of the sentences structure. I work very hard to think about writing right to left in my notebook. So, putting that aside the word order is very similar to English: I / eat / a cake. 

   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - cake German - Kuchen Danish - kage Dutch - taart Swedish- kaka Norwegian - kake Italiano - torta  Francais - gateau Romanian-tort Haitian Creole - gato Esperanto - kuko Latin-libum Welsh - cacen Irish - cáca milis Scottish Gaelic - cafaidh Zulu - Ikhekhe Hawaiian - kaka Swahili-keki Czech - dort Hungarian-torta Polish-ciasto Turk-kek Indonesian kue Japanese-ケーキ Kēki Korean -케이크 keikeu Hindi -केक kek Yiddish - שטיקל shtikl Ukranian-ТОРТ TORT Vietnamese- bánh Greek- κέικ kéik Russian кекс keks

***Do you LIKE my work? But not ready to comment as a beginner.  Please ANSWER a quick 4 questions mulitple choice survey. It will inform me about my audience and their interests :-)

***I would love some discussion in the comments comments. Is your target language (the language you are learning as a foreigner) similiar to another language in this comparative list? Please COMMENT any similarities or differences you notice?

***If you want to see my future blog spots, please FOLLOW this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Io mangio la torta al ciocolato. (Italian) I eat the chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete