Search This Blog

Nov 8, 2022

Duolingo Progress with Navajo & Hawaiian

 Spotlight on Navajo





I have been slowly working on Navajo, a native American language.  I love that Duolingo is including endangered languages as well as commonly spoken language at have lots of speakers as a second language. I am looking forward to when Duolingo adds Maori soon.

Part of speech holoTranslation
English - I have a dad.


 Reflection: 'holo' goes at the end of the sentence.


   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - father German DeutschVater Danish Danskfar Dutch Nederalnds- vader Swedish Svenska- vader Norwegian Norsk bokmål - far Italian Italiano - padre  French Francais - père Romanian Română-Tată Haitian Creole kreyol ayisyenpapa Esperanto - patro Latin-pater Welsh Cymraegtad Irish Gaeilgeathair Scottish Gaelic Gaeilgeathair Zulu isisZuluubaba Hawaiian ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi- makuakāne Swahili Kiswahili-baba Czech češtinaotec Hungarian Magyar-apa Polish Polski-ojciec Turk Türk-baba Indonesian Türk ayah Japanese 日本Ni hon-お父さんOtōsan Korean 한국어 hangug-eo 아버 abeoji Hindi हिन्दी hindee पिता pita Yiddish יידיש eydish -פאטער fater Ukranian українська ukrayinsʹka-батько batʹko Vietnamese Tiếng Việt-cha Greek Ελληνικά Elliniká- πατέρας patéras Russian Русский Russkiy отец otets

   Spotlight on Hawaiian


I first tried Japanese in year 6 at primary school.  My older sister was learning it at high school and later during her university. I was homeschool by my mum that year.  I found her hiragana flash cards to learn while I was sitting in the splits.  Trying to multi task, so I would be distract from the discomfort of stretching my legs to deepen my split while sitting on a pile of phone books with sharp corners.

I can see now that I am in my thirties the knowledge has stayed with me, so I have remembered the first part of hiragana and now need to work on the next years with the double lines ( i think they are called tentens) and the little circles used to make the other syllables like ta -> da, and ka -> ga etc.



Hawaiian - He kumu'o Kéhau.
English - Kehau is a teacher.

 Reflection: I wonder if the name goes at the end of the sentence because the teacher is the subject.

   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - teacher German - DeutschDer Name Danish Dansk- navn Dutch Nederalnds- naam Swedish Svedska- kaka Norwegian Norsk Bookmål- Navn Italian Italiano - nome  French Français - Nom Romanian Română-Nume Haitian Creole kreyol ayisyen - non Esperanto - nomo Latin-nomen Welsh  Cymraeg- enw Irish Gaeilge - ainm Scottish Gaelic Gàidhlig na h-Alba - ainm Zulu -isisZulu igama Hawaiian ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi - inoa Swahili Kiswahili -jina Czech čeština - název Hungarian Magyar-név Polish-Polski Nazwa Turkish Türk --isim Indonesian Bahasa Indonesianama Japanese-日本Ni hon 名前Namae Korean 한국어 hangug-eo 이름ileum Hindi हिन्दी hindee -नाम naam Yiddish יידיש eydish- נאָמען nomen Ukranian українська ukrayinsʹka-назва nazva Vietnamese Tiếng ViệtTên Greek Ελληνικά Elliniká- όνομα ónoma Russian Русский Russkiy имя imya

***Do you LIKE my work? But not ready to comment as a beginner.  Please ANSWER a quick 4 questions mulitple choice survey. It will inform me about my audience and their interests :-)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W6GVWJQ

***I would love some discussion in the comments comments. Is your target language (the language you are learning as a foreigner) similiar to another language in this comparative list? Please comment any similarities or differences you notice?

***If you want to see my future blog spots, please FOLLOW this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment