Search This Blog

Nov 13, 2022

Duolingo Progress - spotlight on Finnish

Making progress with Zulu, Irish, Russian, Esperanto, Romanian, Czech, Danish, Hebrew, Italian, Vietnamese,  Spanish.

Can you recognise any words that I learned?














I am doing better at Hawaiian and Brazilian Portuguese.

Can you translate any of these words to English or your target langauge?






I am interested to learn Finnish. So far, the first Finnish word that I have come across in English is sauna.  It seems the Finns invented the sauna.

    Minulla on ystävä, jolla on kolme kissaa
Part of speechTranslation
English - I have a friend who has three cats

 Reflection: Most Finnish words don't remind me of English or another language that I am learning.  But I like kissaa for cats.  It makes me think of kitty.




   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - cat German - Katze Danish - kat Dutch - kat Swedish- katt Norwegian - katt Yiddish - קאַץ kats Italiano - gatto  Francais - chat Romanian-pisică Haitian Creole - chat Esperanto - kato Latin-cattus Welsh - cath Irish - cat Scottish Gaelic - cat Zulu - ikati Hawaiian - popoki Swahili-paka Czech - kočka Hungarian-kočka Polish-kot Ukranian-кіт kit Turk-kedi Indonesian kucing Japanese-猫 Neko Korean -고양이goyang-i Hindi - बिल्ली billee  Vietnamese- con mèo Greek- Γάτα Gáta Russian кошка
koshka

***Do you LIKE my work? But not ready to comment as a beginner.  Please ANSWER a quick 4 questions mulitple choice survey. It will inform me about my audience and their interests :-)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W6GVWJQ

***I would love some discussion in the comments comments. Is your target language (the language you are learning as a foreigner) similiar to another language in this comparative list? Please comment any similarities or differences you notice?

***If you want to see my future blog spots, please FOLLOW this blog.

1 comment: