Search This Blog

Nov 19, 2022

Duolingo Progress with spotlight on Norwegian

  I am making progress with Ukrainian, Norwegian, and Finnish with a higher accuracy in Korean

Can you recognise any words that I learned?








Can you translate any of these words to English or your target language?

 My grandmother's grandfather was Norwegian and he migrated to Australia.  I first tried to learn when my cousins came over from Norway, but found Duolingo as an adult much more accessible to go step by step.  My kind relative tried to show me the alphabet which was really interesting as a ten year old.  But there was no other resources available for self-learning once she left.


    Katten spiser musen,
Part of speechTranslation
English - The cat ate the mouse.

 Reflection: Katten and musen both show how both the noun and the definite article are combined into one word. In my experience verbs in Norwegian are not conjugated.  But I also wonder if they show tense and if not how is it indicated to the listener or reader.


   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - mouse German - Maus Danish - mus Dutch - muis Swedish- mus Norwegian - mus Yiddish -מויז moyz Italiano - topo  Francais - Souris Romanian-mouse Haitian Creole - sourit Esperanto - muso Latin-mus Welsh - llygoden Irish - luchóg Scottish Gaelic - luchag Zulu - igundane Hawaiian - iole Swahili-panya Czech - myš Hungarian-egér Polish-mysz Ukranian-миша mysha Turkidh Turk-fare Indonesian mouse Japanese-ねずみ Nezumi Korean -생쥐 saengjwi Hindi -चूहा chooha Vietnamese- con chuột Greek- ποντίκι pontíki Russian мышь mysh'

***Do you LIKE my work? But not ready to comment as a beginner.  Please ANSWER a quick 4 questions mulitple choice survey. It will inform me about my audience and their interests :-)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W6GVWJQ

***I would love some discussion in the comments comments. Is your target language (the language you are learning as a foreigner) similiar to another language in this comparative list? Please comment any similarities or differences you notice?

***If you want to see my future blog spots, please FOLLOW this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment