Search This Blog

Nov 16, 2022

Duolingo Progress - spotlight on Swahili

I am making progress with Scottish Gaelic, Swedish and Swahili

Can you recognise any words that I learned?




Can you translate any of these words to English or your target language?

I am interested to learn Swahili. So far, the first Swahili word that I have come across in English is Sawubona.  I remember singing it when I was in the university choir.  I gathered it was African, but now know it is a greeting.


    Mimi ni mwalimu
Part of speechTranslation
English - I am a teacher

 Reflection: I like the simple pronouns like mimi for I. It seems verbs don't change much, maybe they are in a constant form for different pronouns. I like the different spelling combinations. LIke lots of consonants together.


   Vocabulary comparison across languages: 
English - you German - du Danish - du Dutch - jij Swedish- du Norwegian - du Yiddish - איר ir Italiano - tu  Francais - tu Romanian-tu Haitian Creole - ou Esperanto - vi Latin-vos Welsh - ti Irish - leat Scottish Gaelic - thu Zulu - wena Hawaiian - oe Swahili-wewe Czech - vy Hungarian-Ön Polish-ty Ukranian-ти
ty 
Turk-sen Indonesian Anda Japanese-あなたAnata Korean -너 neo Hindi -तुम tum Vietnamese- bạn Greek- εσείς eseís Russian ты ty

***Do you LIKE my work? But not ready to comment as a beginner.  Please ANSWER a quick 4 questions mulitple choice survey. It will inform me about my audience and their interests :-)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W6GVWJQ

***I would love some discussion in the comments comments. Is your target language (the language you are learning as a foreigner) similiar to another language in this comparative list? Please comment any similarities or differences you notice?

***If you want to see my future blog spots, please FOLLOW this blog.

1 comment: