Search This Blog

Aug 6, 2022

Duolingo game app - Review



 Description: free web based  game, also on iPhone or android. optional paid subscription

Includes 25 Levels of 30+ languages




for English speakers, more from other languages

Sample sentence inside;

    Italian    Io sono una ragazza
    English    I am a girl.

Pros:

  • teaches word with gender (il/la)
  • some illustrations for early vocab
  • uses words in sentences for context
  • gamification and friendly competition
  • audio files for pronunciaiton (listening)
  • stories for some langauges (reading)
  • speaking exercises
  • writing exercises with vocab selection or typing
  • matching vocab exercises
  • 5 units is equivalent to 2 years at university

Cons: 

  • needs internet access

  As a languages teacher, I have qualified in Italian and French for my teaching degree.

Duolingome - Italienfrancese




I have had some exposure to these languages across my primary, secondary and tertiary education:

  • Spanish
  • German
  • Latin
  • Indonesian
  • Japanese
I have a personal interest in learning these languages as I have relatives from Wales and Norway.  I have friends from these countries, and/or an interest in learning some of these as I follow some famous celebrities that speak these languages. Now, I am learning some more languages on my own as a hobby, so I am a beginner working at my own pace.

  • Norwegian
  • Welsh
  • Dutch
  • Polish
  • Danish
  • Swedish
  • Romanian
  • Scottish Gaelic
  • Brazilian Portuguese
  • Haitian Creole
  • Esperanto
  • Finnish
  • Czech
  • Turkish
  • Irish

These languages will take me longer to get a start in as they use another alphabet and/or have a lot of accents on the letters to become familiar with:

  • Navajo
  • Korean
  • Swahili
  • Hungarian
  • Hawaiian
  • Arabic
  • Greek
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Yiddish
  • Vietnamese
  • Hindi
  • Ukrainian
  • Hebrew

No comments:

Post a Comment